Sodor (fictional island) is an island fictional to the Railway Series and the television show of Thomas and Friends. It was home to the railways in the Railway Series after the Ward Fell to Balladwail railway was opened in 1806, six years after the start of the 19th century.
- North Western Railway - This railway was formed from the Sodor & Mainland Railway, the Tidmouth, Knapford and Elsbridge Railway and the Wellsworth and Suddery Railway. It was under the direction of Sir Topham Hatt and British Railways agreed to the name of the NWR in the early 1990s.
- Skarloey Railway - A narrow gauge railway introduced in Four Little Engines and serves at the terminus of Crovans Gate. This was based on the Talyllyn Railway and under the direction of Sir Handel Brown and The Thin Controller.
- Arlesdale Railway - This new railway in 1967 features three engines resembling the colours of Henry, Gordon and James from the NWR. Their terminus is held at Arlesburgh and runs through the old Mid Sodor Railway under the direction of The Small Controller.
- Mid Sodor Railway - First opened in 1880, the Mid Sodor Railway was the first railway on Sodor with Duke being the oldest of Peter Sam and Sir Handel. Stanley, an old but rude engine who keeps derailing was turned into a generator and scrapped after 1947. That year, the railway closed down due to heavy flooding and no one wanted Duke.
- Culdee Fell Railway - The railway was introduced in 1964 but didn't make it anyway to Awdry's difficulty and the artists' knowledge of the railway. Godred died in an accident, Lord Harry derailed at the top station and was renamed Patrick after he saved some climbers in a nasty accident. One broke his arm and the other one had head injuries.